Sunday, January 2, 2011

OctoCop Returns

This, is Derek Goldfish, the star of an unfinished comic (started in 2007) and my first first year film: OctoCop - "Night Off" (which I made in 2008). Full story here.



This is the first finished OctoCop thing I've finished since that film, and I have to say, it was a bit weird drawing the character again.

As stated in the From the Vault post, there were a lot of flaws to OctoCop, particularly the story. Originally about a land-dwelling octopus cop whose split personality was a mob boss, I eventually developed OctoCop into being an homage to film noir, with the whole split personality thrown out. I figured, if it's always raining in film noirs, what happens when you collect all that rain, and just set it in the ocean...

I never managed to really capture that idea when I was making the comic, or the film (maybe with the narration aspect), but I think this drawing finally does the concept justice. As to where I go with it now really depends on you; this is the first project I've ever posted online with more than 2 years worth of development, so I'd really love to hear what you have to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment